As you prepare for your arrival at UMBC, there are some health-related requirements that you must meet before you arrive on campus. Each item is listed below. Please don’t hesitate to contact us should you have any questions.
Undergraduate Student Requirements:
- UMBC Health/Immunization Form
- Tuberculosis Screening Questionnaire via the myRetrieverCare Portal
- Proof of Health Insurance
For more information on insurance requirements or for International student insurance information, please visit the Insurance Waiver and Mandate page.
If you have questions regarding the requirements, recommendations, or deadlines, please call 410-455-2542 or go to our Insurance and Immunizations/Forms pages. Best wishes for a healthy and satisfying experience at UMBC.
Tuberculosis Screening Questionnaire
Tuberculosis screening is an important part of our efforts to protect the health and safety of our campus and is required for all new students. This is done by an initial questionnaire that is found on your student portal. If you received notice that you need additional lab testing and or x-rays, please check your messages in your portal, or call 410.455.2542 for additional help in satisfying your requirements. Until you complete this questionnaire and complete any subsequent requirements, you will not be able to register for next semester’s classes.
For additional resources be sure to check out the CDC’s Tuberculosis Factsheet.
Quantiferon blood testing can be done at RIH. Call 410.455.2542 to make an appointment.
Only select students will need to do this blood testing. Those who do will be notified upon completion of the questionnaire. Schedule an appointment only if you were instructed to do so based on your responses to the tuberculosis screening questionnaire or by other specific directions from RIH staff. Schedule early. Appointments fill up quickly and you will not be able to register for Summer-Fall 2024 classes until this requirement is met.
In an effort to maintain a healthy campus environment, all new and transfer UMBC students are REQUIRED to review and follow the instructions on the Health/Immunization Form by January 15, 2024. Students who do not meet this requirement will be blocked from subsequent class registration until the form is completed and returned to RIH. Residential Life requires submission of the form to RIH prior to move-in. Documentation must include specific dates of immunizations and screening tests (month, day, year).
***If you have not submitted the required proof of immunizations, you will not be able to register for classes for future semesters.***
The following immunizations are required for UMBC students:
- Two MMR vaccines (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) after your 1st birthday (unless you were born before 1957)
- If you are unsure if you have completed the MMR vaccine series, or cannot obtain your records, you can schedule an appointment at RIH to have your blood drawn to test your immunity levels (titers).
- Meningitis (MCV4): Maryland law requires that all students living in on-campus housing have a meningitis vaccine protecting against at least the four serogroups A, C, Y, and W-135 within the preceding 5 years of moving into on-campus student housing, or sign a waiver stating that they understand the risks of meningitis infection and elect not to have the vaccine.
- Meningococcal disease refers to any illness caused by bacteria called Neisseria meningitidis. These illnesses are often severe, can be deadly, and include infections of the lining of the brain and spinal cord (meningitis) and bloodstream. Keeping up to date with recommended vaccines is the best protection against meningococcal disease. Vaccination can be obtained at one’s primary care provider, many pharmacies, urgent care centers, health department clinics, and Retriever Integrated Health. Check your insurance coverage to minimize potential out-of-pocket costs.
- Note that the Office of Residential Life tracks meningitis vaccination and waivers separately from RIH in order to determine eligibility to move in to residence halls. If you are unvaccinated, but signed the waiver, please understand that your compliance status on your health portal may not be updated until after move-in.
- Hepatitis B
- HPV (Human Papilloma Virus)
- Seasonal Influenza
- Varicella (chickenpox) *not available at RIH
- Meningococcal B disease *not available at RIH
Most of the immunizations listed above can be obtained at your local health provider’s office, health department, pharmacy, urgent care center, or by appointment at RIH. Please check your insurance coverage and call ahead to confirm availability.
Tuberculosis Screening Questionnaire on myRetrieverCare