All currently registered UMBC students (undergraduate and graduate) are eligible for health care, counseling services, and health education. RIH staff will help determine the most appropriate services for students’ presenting concerns. These may include web-based mental health self-help resources, consultation, counseling/therapy (individual or group) or referral to a community provider. There is no charge for counseling services at RIH.

RIH staff cannot treat anyone outside of our facility.  If a medical emergency occurs on campus, call Campus Police at 410.455.5555 or 911.  DO NOT TRANSPORT MEDICAL EMERGENCIES TO RIH as we are not an emergency room and delays in emergency care can be life-threatening.

RIH has a dispensary where basic medications that are prescribed by RIH staff are available. The dispensary carries antibiotics, cold medicine, non-narcotic pain medication, various birth control options, and the Emergency Contraception (EC) Pill. RIH providers can also write prescriptions for medications not available in our dispensary. Patients can have prescriptions from Catonsville and AME Pharmacy delivered to RIH.

RIH has a part-time psychiatric nurse practitioner and primary care providers on our medical team who can prescribe medications when appropriate. If you and your counselor believe medication may be an effective option, your counselor can help you schedule a medication evaluation. Our providers will evaluate your situation and determine if medication is appropriate. Alternatively, the RIH Referral Coordinators may help you get connected to services in the community, utilizing your insurance provider, when appropriate. There is a charge for mental health medication services.

RIH offers outreach programming on topics such as medical and mental health service overviews, education about online resources, complementary medicine, and more. Please fill out the RIH Outreach Request Form to request a visit for your space.

The Office of Health Promotion and the peer health educators create and offer additional programming and outreach events on campus on a variety of health topics. For more information, call 410-455-1558 or email ohp@umbc.edu.


You may call RIH (410-455-2542) or come in person to our office at the Center for Well-Being. Crisis appointments are available for urgent or emergency situations. Please log into your student health portal approximately 30 minutes prior to your first appointment to complete forms.

Counseling is most beneficial when you attend sessions consistently and on time. If you need to cancel or reschedule, or you realize you will be late for your appointment, please call us at 410-455-2542 by 9 a.m. the day of your appointment or as soon as possible to let us know. Students who are no-shows will be assessed a $25 fee.

If there is a medical emergency when after-hours when RIH is closed, students may call University Police at 410-455-5555. The police will contact the on-call physician for RIH and the physician may contact the student or suggest an ambulance be called.

To recommend counseling services to a UMBC student, first determine the student’s willingness to go to a helping resource. Reassure the student that it is an act of strength to ask for help. Remind them that campus counseling services are free and confidential. Offer to help make the initial contact by calling or coming with the student to RIH. Please know that we can only schedule appointments for students by communicating directly with the person participating in the appointment. See also the Help Someone Else section.

During your first appointment, you can expect to be asked some questions about your current concerns and your counselor will listen closely as you describe your experiences. Together, we will assess your needs and come up with an effective course of action. This may involve a variety of possibilities such as ongoing group or individual counseling, referral to a community-based provider, a medical consultation, or self-help resources.

Insurance and Payment

RIH accepts most major health insurance plans. There are some insurance plans that are not contracted through RIH, but a claim can still be submitted for your visit. Any amount not covered by your insurance will be billed to your student account.

Certain insurances and Medicaid insurances require a primary care physician (PCP). If you want RIH to be your student’s PCP, the HMO-PCP needs to be Dr. Victor Madrid.

  • HMO – Health Maintenance Organization. A referral is required from your primary care physician to see a physician outside of their office.
  • POS – Point of Service. Depending on your plan, you may also need referrals from your primary care physician to be seen. You have the choice to go out of network and pay a copay or deductible.
  • PPO – Preferred Provider Organization. This plan allows you to be seen anywhere, at any office that you need care without a referral.

Any amount not covered by your health insurance will be billed to your student account.

Yes. RIH will never turn you away based on your ability to pay. We try to keep our prices affordable and reasonable. Without insurance, you can either pay for services with your Campus Card, or your student account can be billed.

RIH accepts campus card and personal checks. Also, you can choose to have your student account billed for services.

There is no charge for counseling/therapy services provided at RIH.


Yes. Under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), all patients’ health records at RIH are kept confidential.

RIH staff are legally and ethically required to maintain the confidentiality of the information clients share with us. As a result, both attendance and any information shared during your appointments will not be revealed to anyone (such as family, faculty/staff, friends, etc.) outside of RIH unless you provide written permission to do so. The rare exceptions include a) when there is clear and imminent danger that someone’s life is at risk, b) in the case of apparent or suspected abuse of a child or dependent adult, or c) under enforceable court order. Please see our Forms page for our Notice of Privacy Practices and Consent to Treatment or ask us if you have specific questions.

Current students can view and print immunizations on their myRetrievercare health portal.  Non-students can fax a signed note with your request, along with a copy of your photo ID, to 410-455-1125. Be sure to include where you would like the information sent. In some instances, there may be a charge for this service.