All undergraduate and all new graduate students taking 6 or more credits must supply their health insurance information on the student portal account by September 15, 2023. View a PDF of instructions on how to complete the waiver in the portal. Students who do not complete the waiver to show proof of health insurance by this deadline will be automatically enrolled and billed for the Student Health Insurance Plan offered by RIH/Aetna Student Health.
Be sure to check with your insurance company to find out whether or not it will cover services provided at RIH. RIH is a participating provider with several major insurance companies. Please call our insurance specialist at 410-455-8091 to determine whether or not RIH participates with your plan.
Domestic and non-F1 International Students
To waive the insurance requirement and receive a refund of the charge for the Aetna Student Health insurance plan, the student must complete a waiver application and submit it by the deadline below. All policies will be audited by Student Health to ensure that they meet the following requirements:
- Coverage for both accident and sickness
- A minimum benefit of $500,000 (U.S.) per accident or sickness per policy year
- Prescription drug benefit
- Benefits for comprehensive reproductive health care, including contraception and maternity care, to be covered the same as for any illness
- Benefits for in-patient care of mental and nervous disorders, alcohol, and substance abuse treatment payable on the same basis as any other sickness; benefits for outpatient mental and nervous care payable as per Maryland mandated benefits.
- No exclusions or limitations for injury sustained as a result of a covered motor vehicle accident, or for alcohol or drug-related illness or injury
- Hospital room/board covered at the semi-private room rate with no maximum daily limit
- No maximum daily limit on intensive care services, outpatient diagnostic, and lab tests
- Proof of payment for the full academic year (September through May); exceptions will be made for students entering or graduating mid-year
Waiver applications must be filed the student’s FIRST TERM AT UMBC and again EVERY FALL TERM by the established deadline (Feb. 15 for spring term, June 15 for summer, August 15 for fall term). Waivers submitted after the deadline will not be considered and insurance fees will not be refunded.
ONLY RETURNING INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ARE ALLOWED TO WAIVE THE HEALTH INSURANCE. UNIVERSITY HEALTH INSURANCE IS MANDATORY FOR ALL DEGREE SEEKING INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS Eith F1 VISAS STARTING FALL 2023.
You will be automatically enrolled in the University’s health insurance plan if you are:
- A new student on an F1 Visa
Only returning international students who started at UMBC prior to August 2023 and are on an approved non-UMBC insurance plan are allowed to waive out of the University’s health insurance plan. The waiver period for the fall semester is August 1 to September 15. Waivers submitted after the deadline will not be considered and insurance fees will not be refunded.
If returning international students do not waive out by September 15, you will be enrolled in the University’s health insurance plan.